Capital City Executives' Association

Boats in the Inner Harbour looking towards the Royal BC Museum and LegislatureLegislature on a clear dayPanoramic view of Victoria's skyline

History of CCEA

The CCEA is one of the oldest business associations on the Pacific Coast. We've enjoyed the good times and survived the rest; we've advanced in many ways, including some name changes.

1921 -- Formed as the 100% Club with 12 charter members and membership fees of $2.00 per month. Spotlights began June 17th, 1921 and continue to this day.

1925-1928 -- The club and the economy made great progress together, attending international conventions with affiliated groups.

1925 -- The International Directorate grouped its member clubs under one name: the International Executive Association. Seattle and Victoria resisted the name change for years, and in 1928 the Pacific northwest group met in Vancouver and took on the name Usadians.

1927 -- Many 100% Club members felt that the future of Vancouver Island lay in fox farming. There were 46 farms on the island along with a large market for the pelts.

1928-1931 -- During the stock market crash, the club became more conscious of leads, insisting that all members do business exclusively with fellow members. This helped us survive the Great Depression.

1928 -- The opinion of the members was that Victoria would never have a significant tourist business.

1931 -- With a membership of 60, the club seceded from the International Association, became the Capital City Commercial Club and moved meetings from the Dominion Hotel to the Empress Hotel. Speeches about government restraint, taxation and the depression dominated the meetings. One speaker advocated a club-wide ban on all political parties so that members would vote impartially. The club debated this, then published a list of the candidates we backed in the civic election.

1941 -- During World War II, the CCEA helped coordinate a program to receive British refugee children. The CCEA's minutes show that 1941 ended with many members serving in the armed forces. The club persevered by generating leads and an emphasis on business done with members.

1986 -- Capital City Commercial Club officially became the Capital City Executive Association (CCEA). The club moved meetings to the Union Club on Gordon Street.

1991 -- First female member Yvonne Sharpe joined November that year.

1996 -- Trudy Farrell became the CCEA's first female president

The Capital City Executive Association, in all its different names and affiliations, still exchanges leads and supports its members. Through economic upturn and depressions, through wars and relative peace, the CCEA remains.